Friday, August 17, 2012

Lost Seagull

Young seagull



At about 10:30 this morning, I went out to my truck in the parking lot across from our store in Garberville, I looked up into the sky, as I often do, day or night, and I saw a seagull flying over. As I watched it curiously it circled around to look at me curiously. It occurred to me that it might be hungry. I had just bought bag of corn chips, so I reached in the truck, grabbed the bag and opened it. I threw a few chips on the ground. Sure enough the gull swooped down. He landed on the parapet wall of the adjoining building. He eyed me curiously like he wasn't quite sure of my intentions. Smart bird! I walked over to the store and went inside. As soon as I stepped inside several crows, ravens and blackbirds swooped in to gobble up the corn chips. Soon the gull got brave enough to fly down and grab a few for himself,

Quite often I see seagulls in Garberville, but not often in the summertime. Usually there is a strong wind blowing or a storm out to sea, or maybe the gull came inland to get out of that darn fog that they have along the coast this time of the year. I can certainly understand that.

Anyway it was cool. The dishwasher next door said that there was another young gull joined the first one to help finish of the corn chips. Call me a romantic fool, but I concluded from that that they were probably a young couple eloping. Why else would they be in Garberville this time of the year.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have slow ravens there it sounds like Ernie. In Alaska when you throw just about anything out it never hits the ground before a seagull, crow or raven grabs it.
Anyway I think most gulls fly over Garberville. There are plenty of gulls and pelicans over in Greenville, Plumas County. They are slow on the draw there also.

Oregon

Ross Sherburn said...

Yep,I see Gulls over here in my neck of the woods also,Mostly around the larger lakes.

olmanriver said...

While waiting patiently for my slice of huckleberry pie, I went swimming at the Cook's valley hole. I hadn't been there since before the hot spell and now there was a 2-4" layer of green on the river bottom which had obviously been discouraging others, but was fine for me.
The southfork was still cool, no pincher bugs were observed, and I managed to float and swim all around the large and deep pool for hours. It was heaven and I had it all to myself. For many years a tall snag has lain underwater right at the bend in the river, extending from the farshore, surfacing only in a few places. A turtle languished on the thicker trunk, while in the pool the upper branches made a fine, though narrow, lounger. Squawfish were everywhere and my brain couldn't help but ask the overly asked question of why nothing has been done about them for soooooo long now?
Back on shore I reclined on my side watching the sparkling reflections as the wind played across the water. From downriver came a young osprey who dipped at a floating leaf and turned and flew directly at me until it saw me and banked sharply away. As it turned, it cocked its head to look me, and with its white underbelly looked just like a gull. It retreated to a perch maybe 50 yards downriver on a rocky embankment to preen awhile. As I watched it flew back to the pool flying just above the water and dove in and disappeared for a second. I have seen osprey dive nearly vertically, but never from such a low angle. It struggled a bit coming out of the water and flew off downriver, no fish of any size apparent in its beak. At least someone is trying to do something about the squawfish! I wonder if gulls would fish for them?

I heard it today from a reputable source that there is a certain freezer south of town with stored huckleberries. Rumor has it that the slices will cost $10 to help allay expenses and go towards the retired fireman's fund. ?

Ernie Branscomb said...

We had our annual family reunion last saterday. I got a few pictures that look a little fuzzy in the thumbnail photo. Maybe they are good enough for a post. All I can say is that we ate 17 1/2 pounds of deep fried squash, a new record. Roy says that there are new "family members" showing up just for the squash. He says that he is a little insulted because the squash is distracting people from his barrel roasted tri-tip. Not true, his tri-tip was delicious!

Ernie Branscomb said...

River
Thank-you for the trip down memory lane. I used to live in the river all summer when I was a kid, only hair moss, suckers and trout were the flora and fauna back then. The osprey is about the same, except most people now think that they are bald eagles, but, most people don't have your eagle eyes and careful observation.

Ernie Branscomb said...

So.... I see that my beloved wife ratted me out about my secret stash of huckleberries. She claims that she was tricked.

Now, I'm just waiting for the apples to ripen so I can make a fairly organic pie.

Ross Sherburn said...

Ernie,Have you ever talked about that Drive in Theater,that was a little north of town&set down a little towards the river? If I remember correctly??? Who owned it?When was it built? Torn down?,Etc?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Ernie should write an book about the life and changes of Garberville from about the forties on.
I want a signed copy.

Oregon

Ross Sherburn said...

Ernie,These forest fires that are raging right now in Nor-Cal, What happened in the old days,When we didn't have Cal-fire or the USFS???