Wednesday, May 2, 2012

China, the new America


Payback is a bitch, or so it seems. China has gained prospertity so fast that they don't understand restraint. They smoke too much, eat too much, and they don't exercize enough. Sounds a lot like America used to sound doesn't it?

Please click on the following video about China's new middle class obese. Most Americans have learned about moderation and at least try to restrict their food intake. The Chinese people relate obesity with prosperity. They do not yet fully understand the negitive health aspects of being overweight.

This post is a little shocking to me. When I was little, and didn't eat all of my dinner, my mother would tell me how lucky that I was that I was not one of the poor little kids in China that were starving to death.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/health/jan-june10/china_06-01.html


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, at least China's middle class is growing. The statistic growing in America is the number of low income citizens, now clocking in at more than half.

Fred Mangels said...

I'm not so sure about that, Ernie, at least around here. Most people I see in Eureka- guys, anyway- seem to be overweight. Even down at the welfare office you see a lot of fatsos.

Eel River Ernie said...

Interesting video particularly the forecasts. According to the video motor vehicles in China have tripled in the last 10 years to 20 million in a population of 1.4 billion people. Compare that to California which has 32 million vehicles and a po;ulation of 37.6 million. Also found a new word to add to my vocabulary "globecity" which I have to think about a little more before I employ its use.

Anonymous said...

From somebody that hates fat I found this interesting. I watched a similar video on Chinese obesity several years ago and I keep thinking that they are supposed to run out of women to marry because of their birth policies, hence no more Chinese, fat or otherwise.
In my recent travels I saw a lot of Asians, country of origin unknown to me, at airports in Seattle, Denver and Phoenix and almost without exception all were thin.
On another note, Some that read Ernie's blog might find the book " Merchants of Despair' by Robert Zubrin" interesting. It covers a wide range of topics like pesticides, global warming and everything else in-between.

Oregon

Anonymous said...

P.S. The book covers a little on eugenics and it doesn't say fat people have to go. Just sayin'.

Oregon

Anonymous said...

Uh oh!! My post sounds awful. The fat I hate is my fat, don't care about other peoples fat.
I gained 40 pounds after retirement.This past winter I worked off 15 pounds which is about right for me. When I quit working I was about 30 pounds underweight. I attribute that to stress.
Hope I didn't offend anybody.

Oregon

Ernie Branscomb said...

Oregon
You worry too much.

Spyrock
I need to apologize to you. You made a comment a while back and it went into the spam file. I haven't had the time to fish it out. I hope that you will forgive me.