Sunday, October 24, 2010

Mud season is upon us.

As anybody that lives in the Eel River canyon knows, we only have two significant seasons... Dust and Mud. As of yesterday about noon, we sunk swiftly into “Mud Season”. It has rained 4.75” so far, the East Branch of the South Fork of the Eel River is up to the boat dock log in the Benbow R.V. park. That usually means that we had a pretty good storm. Just in case somebody slept through it, I did. There was NO wind. Wind and sleep are incompatible features of my life.

It’s strange, a few days ago we had those high wispy clouds that the old timers called “mare’s tails”. They said that was a cold front passing by, usually followed by a rain within three days at this time of year. The Totter-asses were in the fields and crying at night. That’s was another sign of impending rain to the old-timers. The pyracantha and madrone berries are just starting to turn. So far they have about the same blush as a new bride. Do brides still blush, I have noticed any new brides lately.

The robins are in the lawns and the wild pigeons are early this year. I haven’t seen Al Gore to check for sure but we are showing all of the signs that an “Old-Timer would say means that we are going to have a wet winter.

Time will tell, won’t it?

I’m doing another “windy” post about Sailing Ships. But, it’s dragging. This will be a fun post until I get it together

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear about sailing ships on the eel river.

Mr. Nice said...

Gate worked after I shoveled the road out. Nice buckets o rain.

I am tripping though with the no wind. Like, literally, I am outside right now and everything is absolutely standing still but it's still wet. Can't tell which direction wind is blowing because it's not. Weirding me out.

Anonymous said...

Ernie, you would not like living on a boat in Alaska if you can't sleep in the wind. As a matter of fact, you might not like trying to sleep in the lower Yakima Valley either.
I can remember several big wind storms in Humboldt, like one when I was stuck behind a redwood across the freeway South of Scotia. I think it was around Christmas in the mid 70's and after dark. I stood outside my rig and heard redwoods cracking and falling all around and couldn't see a thing in the dark. Piece of cake...Try sleeping through a 68 knot wind, hanging on an anchor 70 miles from nowhere.
I can't remember how the rainfall totals are kept in Humboldt. When you said 4.75" of rain, when does the count begin? I think I get 8.5" of rain a year where I live now and love it.

Oregon

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention Ernie, we have two seasons here too, Hot and dusty and cold and dusty:-)

Oregon

olmanriver said...

I pulled a classic doofus... thought the second storm would just have a few inches and didn't pull my kayak far enough up the bank. Definitely didn't expect a ten foot rise in the water... hopefully the coast guard isn't looking for the body that wasn't in the kayak.

Dave Kirby said...

Will be a great year for red. Madrones are starting to show. The Toyon show should be gangbusters. Those big showy bushes are also known as Christmas Berry or California Holly. They will hold color til Christmas. Been awhile since we've had this much rain this early so it could be a photographers dream.

olmanriver said...

Hooray for small town living... an honest family found my kayak(s) and went looking for its owner, which led to word getting back to me and I was able to retrieve my kayak today.The kayak had been "docked" in Piercy, parked next to my friends kayak which was also washed away. Curiously, as if the boats were pals even without their paddlers, they both caught at the low bridge into the Benbow campground, one kayak on each side of the bridge.
I was ever so grateful and gave the family a few jars of smoked salmon, and following their suggestion will donate their finder's fee to Save our Schools.
All word of mouth, gotta love our small town.

Anonymous said...

omr, it doesn't hurt to put a name tag on or in the kayak. One word of caution though, if you use your kayak for poaching do not put your name on it.

Oregon