Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Guest Researcher provides Abundant Knowledge

Important update, 9/17/09. 7:00am:
The following is a complete Docu-comedy. None of it is to be believed. The only thing that is checked for veracity is the spelling, and I not sure about that either.
Sorry folks, something about “Ekovox” gets into your brain and twists it. We had a private e-mail conversation going. He likes to prey on my gullibility, just to see what I will believe. He’s really good and I’m really gullible. So we waste a lot of ink. But, I’m going to leave this posted just for the humor.
I was going to see if I could keep this going until April fools day, but thought that might be stretching it to far.
Was anybody fooled?


As you already know. I don’t have a lot of knowledge about primary source information, but I do have a lot of stories about tales that I’ve heard. So, I look forward to finding out about things that I have previously been unaware of, like Ben pointing out that the “Local Indians did too have tobacco“. ( This is true, question the rest)

A man by the name of Ekovox is a generation native, and he comes from a long line of ancestors steeped in the knowledge of the north coast. Ekovox used to have a very popular and interesting blog called “299 Opine” that he used to keep us informed about historical topics.

He has been a frequent contributor to my blog on the subject of little known historical facts. Often he turns confusing stuff into mind-blowing science. He has an abundant knowledge of historical artifacts and what they were used for. Some of us recall that I was stumped over the intricately carved log that Ekovox recognized immediately as:


“that object is a flush-end brace bodkin. It's missing the fulcrum piece,though. We knew it as a Currier's trammel hook up in the Klamath-Trinity region. It's used in sluice boxes to hold the screen in place when the water pressure was too great.You're looking at circa-1870's, maybe 1880's. Long after the gold panners had left, the sluice miners came in...just before the hydraulic mining came into popularity. It would make sense if that second attachment was in place.”


I thanked him with my reply:

“Thanks Eko, We don't have much gold mining equipment around here. So, I didn't have a clue... What else is new.”

And another mystery was solved on “Ernie’s Place”. Honestly, I don’t feel that I deserve the mounds of credit that my readers heap upon me. I just provide the forum folks, no adulation is required!

Eko is not only an expert on the north coast, he is an expert on Indian Artifacts, mining equipment, and logging. Recently he pointed out that he had indeed seen “Catskinner Goggles” that I had arrogantly pronounced as being as “rare as frog-hair” In a private email he informed me about the Catskinner Goggles. He not only provided his knowledge, but he included rare photographs of the Goggles. He also included proof of the existence of the matching earplugs that the goggles would be worthless without.

In my excitement that he had provided me with proof, I quickly emailed him back, and asked him if I could have the “exclusive”, and post his information and photos on my blog.

His reply:
“Yes you may....Because I am only speaking the truth and the truth must be told, no matter the horror.”

“No Matter the Horror” is an insider thing with us Generation Natives. He knows that sometimes the newcomers, that start studying our history, find that some of it is indeed horrible. Sadly, they become mired in the emotion and fail to look at the mechanics and details of our unique north coast history. “no matter the horror” is his way of saying that he understands my pain at losing all of that history to “the Horror”… And maybe a little nudge to let me know that, maybe, I go on about it a little too much about it!

In his reply, he even boldly mentioned “the stinging spray that yellowjackets used to emit”. The stinging spray is something known only to woods crews and Generational Natives. We don’t talk about it anymore, because you have to have proof before a newcomer will believe anything that a Generational Native says. (What’s up with that?) The stinging spray in yellowjackets has been diluted by newcomer bees to the point that it is almost unnoticeable today. Some of us natives can still smell it, but it is only an experienced sense of smell that can detect it.

But. I ramble..

Please find below the rare photo’s and proof that “Catskinner Googles” really did exist! I am indeed humbled that Ekovox has allowed be to post this!
“Ernie,
It took quite a bit of research, but I actually found photographs of catskinner goggles. A couple of different sets. One pair is from the Georgia pine forest country. And the next pair is more typical of the Pacific northwest. As you can see, the flatter pair or Georgia Woods Goggles were made for keeping pine needles out while the round pair (or as were known locally as "Gomer Specs") were typical of those used near Laytonville. The round, tight sealing feature kept tanoak dust and other natural toxins out of your eyes. The foul smelling, stinging spray that yellowjackets used to emit would really sting your eyes. Remember that story of the time when the yellowjackets were so thick after being run over by a Caterpiller D9 that they formed a cloud that encircled the crew and emitted a venomous fog that nearly choked the entire logging crew to death. If they hadn't barricaded themselves in the crummy, they wouldn't have survived. It was all the talk for quite a while. I first heard that story one summer from an old woods boss I met while drinking at the Sawblade in Phillipsville. The third photo shows the common catskinners earplugs to keep the noise to a minimum and keep the diesel exhaust from entering into your ear canals..... and finally the fourth photo shows the full catskinner's helmet complete with goggles and earplugs built in. We never saw much use of those style helmets in these parts. Probably from those sissy Canadian catskinners. See and you thought I was full of bullshistory. Well finally, I have proof.”











Thanks again Eko, I pity indeed the newcomers that don't have our vast collective knowledge of the north coast. Not only would they not have the roads to get here, without our deep knowledge they would be floppin' around like trout flipped on a crick bank.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised Ernie didn't recognise that helmet. It is the predecessor to the Scott Air Pack. Made for fiemen.
I always hated those earplugs, hurt like crazy.

Oregon

Ernie Branscomb said...

Oregon
I am amazed at the things that I didn’t know about “Cat skinner Goggles”. As you already guessed, that hood was a lot like the early fire department Self Contained Breathing Apparatus. (SCBA’s)As you know, I have a lot of experience with SCBA’s, starting clear back when you were a Redway Fireman.

Both Scott Air-Pack Company and MSA (Mine Safety Equipment Company) did a lot of research leading to the development of Catskinner Goggles. The hood was originally used in coal mine shafts to escape the methane gas that builds up in the mines. Intrigued by the SCBA, Jacques Cousteau cleverly added a “U” for “underwater“, added a tank for air, and called it a SCUBA diving set-up. Although not used so much in California, The hood It was used extensively in Canada. The Military catskinners used them while making the Alcan Highway. They liked the hoods because they kept the snow out of their ears. The road was built back during world war two, so the newcomers could get to Alaska. They heard that the Tongas National Forest was providing lumber to build houses, and it needed to be stopped.

Thanks to Ekovox we have a vast new store of knowledge!

Ernie Branscomb said...

Also, those are type "one" earplugs. The later Type "Two" had fatter tips and they fit more securely.

Ben said...

Well... I hear Mel Byrd is living up at Snow Camp. I/m going to look him up and see what he says. Knowing Mel, he's got about 20 pair out back somewhere.

Ernie Branscomb said...

Ben, If you're going to talk to Mel about Catskinner goggles, I'd approach him gently. He might be one of those non-believers! Like I said they're as rare as froghair.

ROSS SHERBURN said...

BEN,mention my name if you happen to hook up with MELVIN BYRD!its been several years since i've talked to him.last saw him at that steam/logging shindig in willits several years ago.

Ekovox said...

Ross, the Steam/Logging shindig in Willits...I believe it's ran bay a group called Roots of Motive Power, based in Mendocino County. Rogan Coombs and that bunch. That was where I first became aware of the catskinner goggles. Somebody had found a discarded pair in the storage compartment of one of the antique Cats.

Ernie, You know....I remember Jacques Cousteau doing a show on the first SCUBA apparatus. He, too described it as early coal mining gear that was easily adapted to underwater exploration.

Does anyone have a clue where we might be able to find a Pulaski Oiler?

ROSS SHERBURN said...

yep! its ROOTS OF MOTIVE POWER!went to it last year,not much new!

Anonymous said...

Ekovox, Ive heard of the Polaski oiler but did you know that the Polaski is one of the few pieces of equipment that doesn't need oiling if used on a regular basis.

Oregon

Ekovox said...

Oregon, you mean like a self-filing saw?

Anonymous said...

Ekovox, I'm not much on those self-filing saws and find if I do the sharpening myself it works better.
By the way, I don't have a Polaski oiler but I will build one for you if the price is right.

Oregon

Ernie Branscomb said...

I designed and drew up the plans for a "Choker stretcher" once but the patent office wouldn't take it. They said that logging was a dead industry.

Transmission fluid makes the best corrosion and rust inhibiter. (Fact)

Anonymous said...

Ernie, I always bridled chokers when I need one longer. What you should have done is design a choker straightener, one that takes the kinks out. Have you ever seen those kinked chokers? Just kidding. I crack myself up sometimes...

Oregon

Anonymous said...

Now listen, they came up with a self-setting choker up near Olympia, but when the Choker Union got wind of it, there was Hell to pay.

Remember the story of their labor march in downtown Aberdeen?
That one sign shown in the paper brought a tear to my eye...."You'll have to pry this choker out of my cold dead hands"
and..."I'll Cable 'til I'm able"

So what do you know, they come up with the Feller/Buncher instead.

Speaking of Washington...What's your favorite...Buckhorn or Oly?

Anonymous said...

I've seen those self locking chokers but they still need a setter to wrap the logs. They were on a high lead show and I don't think any of the old self respecting cat skinners would be caught dead on a high lead show. I don't mean to take the slack out of your haul-back line but that's just the way I feel.

Actually, Wild Turkey is my choice.

Oregon

Ekovox said...

Um Oregon, the Skagit company is not happy with your response.

Ekovox said...

http://www.vannattabros.com

Hey, do you guys know about this website? It's filled with historical information on all things logging equipment. Skidders and Yarders and Cats and saws galore. I recommend it.

-Ross Rowley

Ben said...

Automatic transmission fluid. I have an old Ford pickup under a tree (literally, the tree fell on it) in the woods. Sitting there 25 years and the engine still turns over due to ATF in the cylinders when I parked it. Shouldn't have parked it under that tree tho.

godsotherson said...

I sold one of those helmets 25 years ago as a fireman's rescue helmet, but to my surprise about 15 years ago ,I stumbled onto an advertisement for the same unit.
They were sold as a safety helmet for refridgeration workers. Ammonia is used in refeidgeration and the air tank would be needed, further the helmet is lined in sheeps wool for protection from cold and the lenses have whipers attached to remove fog so you could see. I have seen since I sold mine at least 5 others sold as fire accessories. I only wish I had keep the ad to show others.