Friday, February 8, 2008

Dang, I hope somebody got that sunset.

I use the camera on my cell phone a lot. It takes passable photo's for a blog site, but every now and then I wish I had a camera that I could change the settings on.

If I could reduce the contrast on my phone-cam it would improve a lot of shots. The real trick to get a colorful photo of a rainbow or a sunset is to reduce the light setting a few f-stops, because sunsets and rainbows are all light, and they drown themselves out while the exposure meter on the camera is reading the background. (Am I exposing my “Old-School Technology by talking in film SLR talk?)

Anyway, the last two photo’s that I have taken have been deficient because I knew how to take the photo, but didn’t have the technology to do so. They make cell phones that do all kinds of stuff that I’m not interested in. Why don’t the make a quality cell-phone/camera? The most beautiful part of this sunset was rendered as a white blob in the middle. It makes me feel the same way, I'm so disappointed, that I feel just like a white blob.

This sunset was dramatically beautiful, and I missed it. I hope someone got a good photo.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh... but where were you when you took the picture? That is the question! Ha, ha!
Pretty anyway.

Kym said...

I agree with Robin. This turned out pretty nice.

I did take a photo of last night's sunset but "where I was" changed the whole view. I like it anyway and posted it today.

Greg said...

Ernie, get down to Costco and pop for a decent camera. You will thank me.

Too bad Radio Shack doesn't carry digital cameras. Our 5.0 Kodak works fine outside, but you need better light for anything indoors.

We get to see the whole sunset down here at the mouth. I'll post a fresh picture.

Anonymous said...

Ask Janice if you can use her "old" camera. I'm sure since she has a new one she wouldn't mind.

Jim

Ernie Branscomb said...

Greg
Actually we sell some outstanding cameras at Radio Shack in Garberville. It's just that we don't have any quality cell-phone cameras, and what I want is something that is always right with me, like my cell phone.

Ernie Branscomb said...

Jim!!!.....
You finally figured it out!!!

Or are you cheating somehow, again?

Ernie Branscomb said...

Jim

If you know Janis, you know that she is a stingy-gut with her stuff. It wouldn’t make any difference how many old cameras she had, she would have a “use” for all of them. And, if anyone (meaning especially me) even so much as touches them, they will never work right again. But, guess who the first person she asks to fix “Her Stuff” when it’s broke.

Nice that you finally broke that “comment” barrier!

Anonymous said...

It's only cheating if your married.
I have my own camera. I think you should carry a camera with you. After a while it becomes second nature, like taking your cell phone. I bet there was a time when you didn't even carry a cell phone.

Jim

Ernie Branscomb said...

Jim

As you know, I've had a mobile phone since 1972. I was the vanguard! (Big whoop)

My first mobile phone looked like a "Pricess Phone" phone. It was bolted to the dash of my truck. It had a huge box that went under the seat, and it...get this....HAD A ROTARY DIAL.

I wish that I had taken a picture!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I remember that phone. The one you said watch what you say on there.
BUT, did it take photos?

Anonymous said...

Jim! Finally! Yayyyy!
Hi!

Kym said...

Somebody (hint hint) should do a post on the old 'mobile' phones. I remember our phone to try and explain some "personal" info to the doctor and finally having to blurt it out knowing the whole hill kept their phones on---which, of course, allowed them to hear my medical details. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

Kym... Back in the 80s, when I was living on Lower Thomas Rd, I would find winter evenings pretty darn boring. I learned to tune my scanner to Cal-Autophone and hope for something interesting. The most fun was conversations between back to the landers and their horrified parents back East. Now I have the same fun with people on their cell phones in public places.
Ernie... years ago my chiropractor told me to quit carrying my wallet in my back pocket or suffer backaches. I bought a fanny pack and found I could also stick a camera in it. I use a Canon with anti shake feature and it takes AA batteries so I have spares with me. It takes great pictures.
Ben