Monday, December 24, 2007

Merry Christmas!


This is like a "Guess what I did for Christmas" post. Saturday, December 22nd we loaded Santa onto our old 1937 American LaFrance fire truck and drove him around Redway. We have tons of photo's of happy little folks sharing their Christmas wishes with Santa. We spent the whole day at it, and by the time we got back to the fire hall it was dark and raining quite heavily. Everyone had a good time.

Taking Santa around Redway on the Fire truck is a tradition that goes back to sometime in the fifties, where a man by the name of J.P. Rusk started it. He was one of the original framers of the Redway fire department , and he was big on Santa. The tradition stuck, and as far as anyone knows, we've never missed a year. It is one of the most special things that can ever be witnessed. Some kids are terrified, and some others run toward him with their arms open like he was their favorite person in the world. Maybe He is! Anyway, it is one of the most rewarding things that we do in the town of Redway. That is, other than a nice stop on what might have been a tragic fire.





I'm the one that's not anyone else. (Hint, I have a sweatshirt on)

It seemed like we had about twice as many kids this year, and I don't know why, but it sure made it fun. We had people chasing us down the street and one person even went to Garberville to pick up her kids to see Santa!

Later that night we had our annual Christmas Party. We parked all of the fire-trucks in a local garage. We decorated the fire hall so it was quite festive, complete with fireplace and Christmas Tree. I had a cut of prime-rib that must have weighted a pound, complete with all the trimming's. Then we danced to the "Roadmasters" until midnight. My wife hasn't been up that late for years. She even danced to "Night-Riders in the Sky", and she used to say that she doesn't like County and Western music. They are a great band and can please any crowd. J.P. Rusk's widow, who will soon be one-hundred, was up dancing to the Music. She attends our party every year as one of the founders of the Redway Fire Department.

The some of the rest of the firefighters were in the following support vehicle. And there were some back decorating the fire-hall. There Is a hint of another truck with us in one of the photo's. Everyone was it complete turn-outs, and ready for a fire, except one noticeable exception, apparently he didn't now it was going to rain.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Ernie. Where was that top photo taken? Orchard Lane?

Ernie Branscomb said...

Yep, Nice guess. You must have been there once.

And, Merry christmas to you, while it still lasts!

Carol said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Ernie! And thank you for being a volunteer fireman!

Ernie Branscomb said...

Thank-you Carol, but believe me, it is one of the most rewarding things that anyone can do.

Merry Christmas to you and Greg, and your loved ones.

Anonymous said...

Great tradition indeed. I remember being one of those kids.

Ernie Branscomb said...

Hi Ren!

That must have been at the bottom of Orchard lane. That was a cool house. Pete Johnson sold his house and moved, so we almost didn't go down there, but we did and we ran into three "True Believers" down at his old house, they were surprised that we came down that far.

Janis says "Hi Ren".

Anonymous said...

Hey Ernie, I have been meaning to ask you....How did the Fireman's December dance go with the Roadmaster's Band. I spoke with Doug, the lead singer the day before they headed down to play for you guys. I wanted to have him say "Howdy" to you, but we got wrapped up in other conversation and I forgot.

Did they do this request for the chief?

The Fireman - George Strait

They call me the fireman
Thats my name
Makin my rounds all over town
Puttin out old flames

Well everybodyd like to have what Ive got
I can cool em down while theyre smolderin hot
Im the fireman
Thats my name

Last night they had a bad one a mile or two down the road
Well my buddy walked out and left this woman burnin out of control
Well I was down there in bout an hour or so
With a little mouth to mouth she was ready to go
Im the fireman thats my name

Ive got fire-engine red t-bird automobile
In a minute or less I can be dressed fit to kill
I work twenty-four on and twenty-four off
When they get too hot, they just give me a call
Im the fireman, thats my name

They call me the fireman
Thats my name
Makin my rounds all over town
Puttin out old flames

Well everybodyd like to have what Ive got
I can cool em down while theyre smolderin hot
Im the fireman
Thats my name

Ernie Branscomb said...

Ekovox

Yes, they Played “The Fireman”. I stayed to close the fire-hall as everyone was leaving, and I had a chance to talk to the Keyboardist. He told me that Humboldt County’s two premiere Bands are joining together to do a benefit for finding a cure for Cancer. That would be “The Delta Nationals” and “The Roadmasters”. He said that ALL proceeds will be going to the Cancer Society. I’ll leave the announcements to them.


The two bands have certainly been surrounded with their share of Cancer tragedy. I understand that the Base player for the “Delta Nationals” was just recently recognized for his great work for helping to find a cure for cancer.

In Garberville the Chamber of Commerce has a “Citizen of the Year” award for the person who does the most selfless work for their community. You would most likely get most of the votes if you lived here “EkoVox”. I think that you are far too modest. But I want you to know that those of us who know who you are, are very proud of you, and I am personally envious of you and your ability to raise funding for great causes. Please keep up the good work, I won’t “bust” who you are because I know that you are incredibly modest. But thank you!

I hope to be at the event, although I doubt that I can. But I will make a donation at any-rate. Keep up your good work. And may all of your goodness return to you tenfold. One of the things that I like about having a blog is that I can talk about thing like this. If you have the details on the event would you please send them to me, and I will front page them when the event draws near.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New-year.

Anonymous said...

Ernie, thanks for the kudos and the kind words.

As we near the memorial event for Doug Eastteam's wife Cheryl on January 26th, I will let you know.

Kristabel said...

Hi Ernie,

When Keri and I were growing up, we used to visit our grandparents in Samoa. Santa always arrived on a firetruck there, too.

I'm a little too late to wish you a Merry Christmas, so Happy New Year! Have a wonderful 2008.

xoxox

P.S. Who's that cute guy in the camo. pants next to Santa?